Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Halifax Public Library

I lived in Halifax, Nova Scotia from 1970 until the summer of 1988, when I came to Ottawa.

There are two things that I miss about Halifax - the Atlantic Ocean and the genealogy of the province, neither of which are available in Ottawa. However, the Ottawa River substitutes for the ocean, and the Canadian Genealogy Center is great for the wandering genealogist to spend a few hours a week researching one's East Coast roots.

However, putting that aside, I see where the Halifax Public Library is again offering their ever-popular course, Genealogy 101.

If you aren't in Halifax, you should go to their site <http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/research/topics/local-history-genealogy.html> and see all the wonderful genealogical stuff they have on their webpage, "Roots to the Past: Local History & Genealogy".

They have "Suggested Reading Lists", "Digital Collections", "Helpful Hints", and a part entitled, "Getting Started".

I went to the "Getting Started" page, and clicked on "Donations". They have over twenty things you can donate to the library - including biographies, Halifax County magazines and newspapers, 19th and 20th century maps of Halifax and Nova Scotia, and songbooks.

Have you sent your published Nova Scotia genealogy there? I must admit that I haven't got mine printed - but it is one of the things I have promised myself to do over the Christmas holidays.

Right now, it is in a number of boxes in my office (horrors!), but this will be the year that it is finally published (online and off).

In case you ask, I am researching both sides of the family, all United Empire Loyalists, who founded Shelburne (Port Roseway back then), and surrounding areas within the South Shore. Names include Barclay, Blades, Bingay, and Noah Webster (he of dictionary fame).

No comments: